Constipation is a common digestive problem that affects millions of people. While most cases of constipation can be treated with lifestyle changes and over-the-counter remedies, some people may experience severe symptoms that require medical attention.
This blog post aims to help those who are experiencing severe constipation understand when to visit Urgentology Care for help!
Symptoms of Severe Constipation
Constipation is usually defined as having fewer than three bowel movements per week and having difficulty passing stools. However, some people may experience more severe symptoms that require medical attention. These symptoms may include:
- Abdominal pain or cramping
- Nausea or vomiting
- Bloating or distension of the abdomen
- Rectal bleeding or hemorrhoids
- Bowel obstruction or blockage
- Inability to pass stools, even with straining
- Involuntary leakage of stool
When to Seek Urgent Care
If you are experiencing severe symptoms of constipation, it is important to seek medical attention. Urgentology Care is a great option for those who need immediate medical attention but do not require emergency care. Urgent care clinics can provide a variety of treatments for constipation, including:
- Stool softeners or laxatives: These medications can help soften the stool and make it easier to pass.
- Enemas or suppositories: These treatments can be used to help relieve constipation by stimulating bowel movements.
- Manual disimpaction: In severe cases, a healthcare provider may need to manually remove impacted stool from the rectum.
In addition to these treatments, healthcare providers at Urgentology Care may also offer advice on lifestyle changes that can help prevent constipation, such as increasing fiber intake, staying hydrated, and getting regular exercise.
Urgent Care Services in Arlington, TX
Constipation can be a frustrating and uncomfortable condition, but it is usually treatable with lifestyle changes and over-the-counter remedies. However, if you are experiencing severe symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention.